Known for opulent houses with sprawling lawns, this residential suburb lies about 14 miles northwest of Washington D.C. – a community of choice for those in search of privacy and seclusion. Its quiet, laidback environment offers respite from the hustle and bustle of the city, and those who live here find themselves revitalized despite a long and demanding work week.
Although devoted to stately homes, this community offers a wide array of shopping and dining options. Residents congregate at the Potomac Village Shopping Center, an outdoor mall with tree-lined walkways and brick buildings. Nearby Westfield Montgomery Mall offers additional choices for those who are willing to make the short drive.
It also offers some of the finest outdoor recreations in Maryland, with scenic trails and canals that few other places in the state can match.
With a population of more than 44,000, the community is situated along the Potomac River, just outside the Beltway. Luxury living is the standard, from immaculate homes to upscale shops and restaurants.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.
Real estate options and property types in Potomac
Potomac consistently ranks among the wealthiest communities in the D.C. area, with a real estate market to match. The majority of properties in the Montgomery real estate market are single-family homes with 3 to 6 bedrooms. However, buyers will also find a selection of condos and townhomes to suit their needs.
The largest homes in the community can have as many as 8 bedrooms. Gleaming hardwood floors, quartz countertops, and high-end appliances are just some of the features you’ll find in the upscale homes in this area.
Buyers can look forward to timeless and elegant designs, with architectural styles ranging from Colonial to Georgian.
Some of the most coveted neighborhoods include:
- Potomac Glen
- Potomac Village
Find the perfect home in Potomac. The Gibbons Group would be happy to assist you. Call 301.219.6517 or send an email to Larry(at)GibbonsGP(dotted)com to get started.
Living in Potomac
- The community is built around the Potomac Village Shopping Center, where residents can do their shopping and sample some outstanding restaurants. Purchase your supplies at Safeway, grab a bite at Chipotle Mexican Grill, and enjoy your Starbucks Frappuccinos.
- Cabin John Village, another shopping center, has been part of the community since 1967. It is known for its ice cream stores, farmers markets, and family-friendly events.
- Westfield Montgomery Mall in Bethesda features major national retailers.
- Potomac’s restaurant scene is nothing short of remarkable serving everything from luxe versions of mac ‘n cheeses to Italian and Mediterranean cuisine. A 3-star Certified Green Restaurant makes use of reclaimed and recycled materials.
- Outdoor enthusiasts will love the Billy Goat Trail, which is made up of three sections encompassing a total of eight miles. Sections A and B offer a challenging and strenuous hike. Section C is the easiest hike of the three and is, therefore, more beginner-friendly. All sections offer stunning views of the Potomac River. However, swimming is not allowed.
- Drop by the Great Falls Visitor Tavern Center for more information on the Great Falls area. The center was initially built as an inn. Today it serves as a museum with fascinating displays and knowledgeable staff.